Monday, November 22, 2010

Admittedly, I have been sort of lazy with keeping a book list going. I have one done already, which is the Halloween themed list. I planned on creating one for Thanksgiving as well, but have not found the time, and I blame this completely on school! So, for everyone that checks this daily for an updated book list (anyone?!), here is a short one. Actually, its not all books. I am currently writing a unit plan on Maya Angelou and her autobiography I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings. Well, you can't talk about Miss Angelou without acknowledging her poetry. And, even more so, you can't look at her poetry without hearing her read some. So, this is a list of only works by Maya Angelou, with one speech by Sojourner Truth, and some of them are voice recordings. Please listen to them. They are extremely powerful  and nothing will give you more of a sense of who this woman is and what she came from.





-I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou (novel and poem)
-"Ain't I A Woman" speech and recording http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0YR1eiG0us

There are so many more great pieces by Maya Angelou. These are just a few that I have came across and am using in my unit plan. You can google both poems and the speech, but obviously you won't be able to read a novel online! Hope y'all enjoy these as much as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment